Friday, January 3, 2014

Gradient Nails

Happy Friday my lovely ladies! I posted a picture last night of my gradient nails on instagram and I was asked how I did the gradient. Well I'm going to post the pictorials and this is my first tutorial. I did NOT come up with this idea. I have seen ombre/gradient nails all over Pinterest, Instagram, etc. I learned originally from many IG nail girls, also YouTube. I just wanted a pretty combo and this is what I came up with! I don't even know what to call the design on my middle finger. I hope you guys like my first ever tutorial. ♥


My nails from last night :) 

 STEP 1: Materials!
- Base coat 
- Base color. I used Sally Hansen White On.
- Gradient colors (which could be your base color) I used Essie Full Steam Ahead and Revlon Dreamer.
- Tape
- Makeup sponge
- Q-Tips or a clean up brush
- Acetone or polish remover whatever you prefer 
- Top Coat. I used HK Girk Quick Drying Topcoat  which I HIGHLY recommend. It's amazing! ♥ 



STEP 2
- Add your favorite base coat. I usually use a strengthener but when I'm lazy or my nail is pretty good I use Essie First Base. 


STEP 3
- Add your base color for your gradient. I learned that white brings out the colors more especially when you have a neon polish or neon acrylic paint. 

STEP 4
- Cover your finger/thumb with tape. I use Scotch multipurpose painters tape that I got from Wal-Mart. Just put it straight along your cuticle, then get as close to the sides as possible. It's okay to have a little skin showing, it's better than having so much polish/paint to clean up! 

STEP 5
- Grab your make up sponge and paint on two stripes however which way you want the gradient to go. Paint a couple layers. 

STEP 6
- GENTLY dab the polish on to your nail covering the whole base color on the sides as well. Repeat step 5 and 6 until you get the opacity that you want. 

STEP 7
- Remove the tape carefully. 

STEP 8
- Start cleaning up around your cuticle with nail polish remover or acetone. 

STEP 9 
- Clean in the creases and anywhere you couldn't get your Q-Tip to with your clean up brush. If you don't have a clean up brush you can use a pointy make up q-tip. This is the most important part! I'm very OCD so I make sure I don't see ANY access polish.

STEP 10
- Add your favorite top coat! Don't ever think you could get away with not using a top coat! Especially with gradients! Topcoats smooooooth out your manicure and makes the gradient blend where the two colors meet and it literally looks so much better. Not saying you have to, but top coat is very important. 


 photo signatureaskjsbdhgkjxfbh.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment